Strom has spoken to audiences from across various markets and levels of experience, at numerous conferences and events. He never fails to entertain and educate his audiences with practical information that can be immediately applied to their particular situations. He has a natural ability to explain even the most complex technologies, and can also provide visionary analysis and thought-provoking insights too. Strom speaks to audiences ranging from rank beginners at the local Rotary to the most geeky collections of CIOs. He is a member of the National Speakers Association. Scroll down to see his current speaking schedule and a copy of his one-sheet flyer. Strom constantly updates and customizes his presentations, owing to the fast rate of change in technology, so his audiences will always have the freshest and most current content. You will get just the right amount of information, whether you want to just know how to make the best purchase decisions or the total inner workings of some technology. His goal is help you use technology in fiscally sound, strategic, creative and fun ways.
You can download a sampling of his presentation materials.
Want to hear what David sounds like? You can listen to several of his podcasts:
- Since 2016, industry author and expert Paul Gillin and Strom co-host For Immediate Release: B2B and talk about marketing and public relations for the B2B IT industry. Prior to 2009, Gillin and Strom co-hosted the MediaBlather podcast.
Sample speaking topics
- Keeping your mobile phone safe from hackers
- How Big Data can help your business
- Privacy vs. security
- Google v. China, our first cyber war
Here is his current schedule of upcoming engagements. He does both large and small group meetings, keynotes and workshop breakouts, on a wide variety of technology topics for both managers and IT staffers. Each speech is customized to your particular needs, technical focus and audience.
If you are interested in having him speak for your organization, he can be reached at (314) 277-7832, david (at) strom dot com.
- March, CyberUp STL: How to get your first cybersecurity job
- March, Parkway Schools Spark Class: What next for Twitter
- November, Parkway Schools Spark Class
- December, Parkway Schools Spark class: Notable social media failures, some lessons learned (slide deck)
- November, St. Louis IAM Meetup: Understanding passwordless technologies
- September, St. Louis: Using NetGalley to promote your (self-published) book, St. Louis Publishers’ Assn. Here is a copy of my presentation slides.
- November, St. Louis, Spark Twitter notable do’s and don’ts
- November, 1e Work From Home event. What EDR solutions are available on the market today? (slides here)
- October, Snowflake. Overcoming fragmented data and improving the customer experience
- March, St. Louis Product Camp. Two sessions on hiring your first PR firm and how to get the best product reviews.
- October, St. Paul: Fears and fulfillment with today’s IT security
- October, St. Louis: Society of Information Management annual CIO forum
- October, St. Louis: Protecting your online and digital privacy
- August, webinar on selling SOC-as-a-Service to MSSPs
- May, San Francisco: AI and cyber security
- September, SecureWorld St. Louis: The legalities of hacking back
- July, St. Louis Self Publishers Assn: How to market your book in the social media age
- April, St. Louis Venture Cafe: Understanding the Internet of Things
- August, St. Louis Venture Cafe: Keeping your mobile phone safe from hackers
- March, lecture to a Syracuse University InfoSystems class on security breaches
- February, Dubai UAE: eSecurity Den
- October, St. Louis AITP chapter: How to manage your brand with LinkedIn and other social media
- October, St. Louis ISACA chapter: Privacy vs. security, the great debate
- March, Redmond Magazine webinar on OpenStack Monitoring and Management
- March, St. Louis Spark Notable Twitter do’s and don’ts
- February, St. Louis Product Camp: How to get the best trade press product reviews
- February, Tampa FL for Techtarget: How to Make the Move to the Hybrid Cloud (slides here)
- January, San Jose Cal.: National Pest Management IT Summit, keynote on Big Data (slides here)
- December, St. Louis Identity Access Meetup on picking the right SSO tools
- November, webinar for Citrix on customer engagement (slides here)
- October St. Louis panel discussion on authentication methods for Fontbonne University Cyber Security month
- October, Austin Innotech conference: Keeping track of cloud costs
- September, St. Louis SecureWorld: Finding the right SSO Tools
- August, St. Louis, AITP chapter, Keeping track of cloud costs
- July, St. Louis Big Data Analytics tools
- June, St. Louis Startup Voodoo panel on cybersecurity
- May, Baltimore Daly Computers keynote for annual customer event: Five emerging technologies that you need to know
- Oct, Telco World, Dallas: How Telco’s need to think like their customers when it comes to SaaS
- Sept, SecureWorld St. Louis: Understanding secure browsers
- Sept, Redmond Magazine webinar: A beginner’s guide to Openstack
- Aug, webinar on customer-facing infrastructures for GigaOm
- June, CyberSecurity issues for ITEN St. Louis (video)
- March: Next generation firewalls, for AITP St. Louis chapter
- March, How to get the best trade press product reviews, for Product Camp, St. Louis
- March, GigaOM Structure Data, New York City
- December: Data Warehouse Institute, Big Data Applied, St. Louis MO
- August: Webinar on next generation firewall technology for SearchSecurity.Com
- July: StampedeCon master of ceremonies at Big Data conference, St. Louis MO
- April: How to use LinkedIn to get your first job (National Computer Conference, Assn of IT Professionals)
- December: Test your #socialbiz smarts? DellWorld, Austin,TX
- November: Big Data presentation to University of Missouri MBA students
- October, St. Louis AITP chapter, Making the Case for Big Data
- August, StampedeCon, St. Louis. Examples of Big Data Uses
- July, TechNet MidAmerica, St. Louis. Why you need to encrypt your emails
- July. Webinar for Voltage Security on email encryption
- March, Austin Tx. Private meeting with Dell social media experts on the topic.
- March, briefing for Trainer Communications on common PR mistakes.
- March, for Lumension on patch management technologies.
- March 11, St Louis chapter of the National Speakers Association. Our local chapter monthly meeting I will talk about how professional speakers can benefit from using social media and Web tools to promote their businesses. Joining me is Doug Devitre, who is an accomplished speaker and nerd extraordinaire.The $20 meeting fee can be paid here.
- March 24, Pittsburgh, webinar for MSPtv. I’ll be talking about how VARs and MSPs can use cloud-based alternatives to Salesforce.com to run their businesses. You can register here for the webinar here.
- April 5, St Louis Gateway To Innovation conference. I will be talking about social media business benefits in this conference, St. Louis’ premier IT event of the year. There is a registration fee and you can find out more about the conference here.
- April 28, St. Louis Assn of IT Professionals. Social media business benefits.
- June 14, NYC, ReadWriteWeb 2Way conference. Real-time communications panel on different Web technologies.
- June 23, Pittsburgh, Webinar for MSPtv. I will be talking about how the channel can win with cloud computing.
- July 28, Pittsburgh, Webinar for MSPtv. I will discuss how VARs can leverage Facebook and LinkedIn for their businesses.
- November, Palo Alto, Society for New Communications Research, preliminary research paper on use of social media in the communications service provider industry with Jeff Eklund of HP. You can download the presentation here.
- July, Nashville AITP chapter, Windows 7 Migration Options. You can download the presentation here.
- July, St. Louis, DoD Cyberlog Conference, Google v. China, our first Cyber War. You can download the presentation here.
- April, ITexpertVoice.com Webinar, Windows 7 Migration Options and Tools
- April, St. Louis CPA Breakfast, Building your online brand
- March, Assn. of Information Technology Professionals National Student Conference, St. Louis: Going beyond Facebook: Social Collaboration Tools to Kickstart your first job
- March, Assn. of Information Technology Professionals National Student Conference, St. Louis: What every student needs to know about LinkedIn to get your first job
- March, Global Communications Summit, St. Louis University: Making sense of social networking strategies for marketing professionals
- March, ITExpertVoice.com Webinar, Understanding Windows 7 endpoint security
- February, St. Louis Innovation Camp, Managing your online presence
- January 2010: KWMU-FM radio, St. Louis on the Air, program on technology trends
- October 2009: How to Use LinkedIn, Twitter, Facebook for extending your network, Association of Black Data Processing Professionals, St. Louis
- July 2009: Missouri Society of CPAs Young and Emerging Professionals Conference
- May 2009: Getting LinkedIn – Professional Networking Through Social Media (video recording)
- April 2009, Phila. PA: AHMA Hardlines Technology Forum
2008 engagements included:
- Nov 2008, AITP St. Louis Chapter, An update on Endpoint Security
- Oct 2008, Chronicle of Philanthropy’s online discussion about Inspiring Your Board to Raise Money
- Oct 2008, ITEC, St. Louis, Giving Thanks to Bill Gates: Looking back on 20 years of IT innovation
- September 24, Network Access Control: Lessons Learned From the Front Lines, searchsecurity.com Webinar
- September 16, BounceBack IT, St. Louis, How to find your next job using LinkedIn and Facebook
- September, SearchSecurity Webinar for Foundry and Q1Labs
- August 13, Microsoft Offices, Creve Coeur, MO, “Giving Thanks to Bill Gates”
- July 22, Rotary International, Fairview Heights, IL, “Giving Thanks to Bill Gates”
- Jun 18, Schenectady, NY: Consortium of Liberal Arts Colleges annual conference keynote
- Jun 10, Las Vegas: American Institute of Certified Public Accountants Tech+ keynote
- May 29, Los Angeles:Book Expo, Web 2.0 Techniques for Authors
- May 14, St. Louis Publishers Association , Blogging your way to success
- April and May, CMP/Novell, Data center virtualization
- March and April, CMP/BNDA 6 city tour: IT Asset Management
- Apr 8, St. Louis, Amdocs’ private meeting on future telecommunications trends
- Feb 11, Australia: SecurityPoint 2008 (presentation)
- Jan 24, San Francisco: Sonicwall worldwide sales conference (presentation)
- Jan 9, New York: “I’ve Been Hacked, Now What?” (NY Society of Association Executives
- Nov 3, St. Louis: Branding Your Company.com (Self Publishers Association conference)
- Oct 30, Boston: From VAR to Recurring Value (VONDex)
- Oct 25, New York City: Mobile WiMAX (Interop NYC)
- Oct 4, St. Louis: Online branding strategies (downtown Rotary Club)
- Sep 25, San Jose, Ca.: Top five disruptive technologies to watch (MSP Alliance annual conference)
- Sep 19, Chicago: The Profit Equation Behind Investing in Emerging Technologies (Ziff Davis Channel Summit)